Accident insurance is the supplemental plan designed to provide you with the one-time, lump-sum amount for your use if you are unlucky enough to have an accident. You can use it along with your health insurance. However, it is not a replacement option for regular health insurance.
What Is the Need for Accident Insurance?
Accidents happen, and that too without any alerts or notifications!
No matter how hard we try, sometimes, things don’t happen the way we want. They don’t essentially involve you driving your car or riding your bike, and they can occur in other forms. You may fall while hanging curtains. You may slip in the bathroom or on the stairs. If you suffer from a specific health condition or get fragile due to age, you are even at greater risk of such accidents.
We are not trying to scare you; we are just stating the adverse possibilities for which you should always be prepared.
Having Health Insurance Does Not Mean Your All accident-related Expenses Are Covered.
You may already have dental or medical insurance, but they might not be enough if you were involved in an accident. Even the best health insurance plan may not provide full coverage for multiple expenses you will incur, right from staying in the hospital to undergoing medical treatments, buying medications, and taking leaves from the job to attend appointments and get the much-needed rest. All of this is in addition to everyday expenses, such as booking a taxi, ordering food, making changes to your house to accommodate the physical disability that might happen after the accident, and so on.
Fortunately, when you are involved in an accident and have accident insurance, a fixed amount of money (as mentioned in the policy) is provided to you even before getting the medical bills. It gives guaranteed coverage regardless of your preexisting health conditions. And the coverage is portable, which means the plan is valid even if you change your job, as long as you meet the criteria.
Usually, the money is provided in the form of a check with your name instead of your healthcare provider within ten days after you file the claim.
And Yes, Don’t Forget Your Kids (if you have any). Kids also need accident insurance as they are more prone to sports-related injuries.
What to do If I Am Involved in a Road Accident in the UAE?
An accident could be your fault or the fault of other driver(s). Whatever its reason, the situation could be very stressful and overwhelming. Sometimes, in panic, people don’t do things that protect their interests. If you ever encounter a road accident in the UAE, take the following measures:
- Please don’t leave the scene unless it is appropriate.
- Warn other drivers to prevent further accidents by setting up a hazard triangle or keeping hazard lights on. Move away from fast lanes to a safe place nearby when possible.
- Dial 999 to contact the UAE police as early as possible. You will need a police report to file a claim with your accident insurance company if you have sustained injuries. Besides, if your vehicle got damaged during the accident, you will need a police report to file an auto insurance claim.
- When the police arrive, provide details of what happened as best you can. In case you are not sure, inform the police. Take photographs of the scene, injuries you sustained, and the damage your vehicle suffered if you can, or ask someone you know to do it.
- Notify your insurance provider at the earliest.
How Can I Sign up for an Accident Insurance Policy?
- You can ask your employer if they offer accident insurance as part of their benefits package.
- You may also ask your spouse’s employer/benefits administrator about which insurance plans are available.
- You can contact a reputable insurance broker who can help you find the best accident insurance plan available.
Leave a Reply